Reflux is a very common worry for parents, and is often misdiagnosed in babies. Research suggests that only 0.9% of children have GORD (reflux disease), yet many babies are being diagnosed with reflux and this commonly sets them on a cycle of medication. Around 1 in 20 babies are currently prescribed acid suppressants. Many times parents feel uncomfortable with this and would like to understand more about reflux and how to help their baby naturally.
I provide both a Reflux Webinar and also a book, published by Pinter and Martin. Both the webinar and the book provides information on what reflux is, why it happens, when it is and isn’t a problem, what feeding issues are commonly misdiagnosed as reflux and what baby care issues can impact it. The book also contains a self-help section to help you work through causes for your baby’s symptoms and to help resolve them.
You can buy either the book or the webinar below.
Why Infant Reflux Matters Book
In Why Infant Reflux Matters I provide a simple and practical guide to understanding reflux that will help you avoid unnecessary medication if a simple change in feeding technique or care can help reduce your baby’s symptoms. I explain what reflux is, why it happens, the difference between reflux and GORD, the role of stomach acid, and what research tells us about treatment. The book also explores the symptoms commonly attributed to reflux and looks at whether they might have other causes, and includes a plan you can work through for your individual baby to help you make informed decisions about their care.
Author: Carol Smyth IBCLC
SKU / SIBN: 9781780666402
Reflux & My Baby Workshop / Webinar
(1.75 L CERPS & 1.5 R CERPS)
The reflux webinar discusses the following:
- What reflux is and what the research and why there has been a surge in the diagnosis of reflux in the last 25 years
- Symptoms which need investigated and common situations which are misdiagnosed
- What happens in the stomach and the oesophagus during reflux
- What medications do in the body
- Root Causes of Reflux Symptoms and Resolving the Cause
- What a baby needs for correct digestion
- How mum and baby's interactions play a role
- How feeding rhythms affect reflux
- How positioning, latch and other functional issues can cause reflux symptoms
- Other causes of silent reflux
- The role of allergies
The workshop lasts 3 hrs.
It should be noted that the topics discussed are not specific to breastfeeding, but are applicable to all babies, whether feeding at the breast or feeding by bottle, so the workshop is applicable to all babies with reflux.
The latest workshop / webinar was delivered by Zoom and the session was recorded and is now available as an online webinar and can be purchased below. CERPS are available for IBCLCs.
If you would like to arrange a live workshop for a group please contact me.